Property Crimes

Theft / Property Crimes

In cases involving theft, loss, destruction or damage to property, the case can be resolved with a Civil Compromise–if the victim and the Court will agree.  A Civil Compromise is a written agreement, prepared by a lawyer.  In exchange for you, say, paying for damages, the injured party agrees to dismiss the case.

Not all property cases are subject to a Civil Compromise, however.  Other traditional approaches are used–trial, challenging the admissibility of evidence or negotiated settlement.  Some counties also have programs that can result in a dismissal or reduction in the severity of the charge.  In Multnomah County, for example, many minor property crimes can be handled by doing community service and then the case is dismissed or terminated with a sentence of discharge on successful completion of the program.  If a property crime is dismissed, it is often eligible for expungement too, depending on your record.

Prior Convictions and Property Crimes

If you’re a repeat property crime offender and charged with a felony property crime, you may be subject to presumptive sentences of 18+ months in prison, depending on your criminal history for violating the Repeat Property Offender law (REPO). There are ways out of REPO’s mandatory minimums.  Under certain circumstances, the court can depart from prison to a probationary sentence, even with a bad criminal history.

Property Crimes Subject to REPO

Aggravated Theft I, Burglary I & II, Computer crime, Criminal mischief I, Criminal possession of a forged instrument I & II; Forgery I & II, Fraudulent use of a credit card, Mail theft/receipt of stolen mail, Possession of a stolen vehicle (PSV); Robbery III, Theft I & II, Unauthorized use of a motor vehicle (UUMV), Trafficking Stolen Vehicle.

9.9Kenneth E Kahn II
10 Best Award 2017-2018 - 2 Years Attorney Satisfaction by the American Institute of Criminal Law Attorneys™
Avvo - Rate your Lawyer. Get Free Legal Advice.